Positive parenting can bring real joy into your home, improve cooperation and listening.
There are many benefits to choosing a positive approach to parenting. Several studies have shown that children feel safe and grow confident when parents treat them with respect and kindness (especially when correcting behaviors).
These Ten Positive Parenting Tips can bring your family more happiness and create a home environment in which your child can grow well and thrive.
(PRINTABLE available for free download below)
1. Accept imperfection: Your child will make many mistakes and misbehave as they grow. Aiming for perfectly behaved kids puts everyone under pressure.
Positive parenting focuses on problem solving and practicing acceptance, forgiveness and compassion.
Let your house be one in which mistakes are not punished but instead seen as opportunities for learning.
Make sure your child knows that you will have their back when they need you most.
This next tip is so simple and so powerful.
2. Smile: It’s contagious and brings happiness to the world.
Your child needs to see you laugh and have a good time. Do things together that create memories and special moments.
Give it a try: For the next week, smile just a little more each time you see your child. It’s a guaranteed happiness booster for all of you.
3. Make time to listen: Tune into your child’s dreams, hopes, heartaches, joys and fears.
When your child is talking to you about problems, try this: Do not worry about fixing anything, just be there and be supportive.
If your child isn’t opening up, try asking fun and creative questions to get the conversation started.
4. Dare to be Ridiculous: Dance together, laugh, laugh and laugh some more. Create, play, whatever it may be, step outside your comfort zone.
It’s worth every moment of connection and it models amazing qualities your child needs to succeed in life.
Set time aside to have fun as a family!
5. You encouraging words: Celebrate process and progress, determination and courage.
Face success and failures with unconditional love.
If your child is struggling know that your encouragement is helpful towards the development of a growth mindset and resiliency.
6. Expect Limits to be Tested: Guide your child towards better choices by being kind and clear about your expectations.
Boundaries will be crossed and your job is to help your child get back on track.
Setting clear limits is part of a positive parenting strategy: These questions can help you set clear limits that work.
7. Communicate with Respect: Remember the way you speak to your child will directly impact what they believe about themselves.
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
8. Spend time together: Look for opportunities, no matter how short they may be, to truly connect with your child each day.
Re-think ordinary moments like making a meal, getting ready for bed and even grocery shopping.
These can be happier if you intentionally choose to share this time with your child.
9. Aim for Balance: Make time for yourself so you have energy to care for your child.
When your own tank is full, you can handle the ups and downs of parenting much better.
It’s not selfish to take time to care for yourself and it will likely lead to you feeling happier, calmer and kinder.
10. Choose Love: Over the years it will get messy, loud, complicated and stressful. Believe that your love is enough and remember that to your child, your presence and support will always be important.
Strive to be a source of love and safety for your child when things are going well AND when your child needs guidance.
Keep in Mind…
Perfection doesn’t exist and parenting is not an easy job. Positive parenting is not about keeping your kids or yourself happy all the time. Every family experiences ups and down and many challenges. Remember that your presence and loving connection can make a real difference in your child’s life.
Our parenting resource library offers mini lessons, printables and more for you and membership is free. Join us and access a copy of 10 Tips for more family happiness, a positive parenting check list and much more.
Download Now: 10 Tips for More Family Happiness
Peace & Be Well,
Latest posts by Ariadne Brill (see all)
- How to Reduce Attention Seeking Behavior In a Positive Way - October 21, 2019
- Toddler Misbehavior and Defiance Improves with Positive Discipline - July 8, 2019
- Using Time In instead of Time Out for Toddler Misbehavior - May 8, 2019