To my child:
I wish for you to live in a world in which peace prevails over violence. Because change begins at home, this is my promise to you:
- I promise to be a kind and loving parent. I will hug you, cherish you, listen to and respect you.
- I promise to encourage you, include you, share with you and learn with you.
- I promise to search and use peaceful and positive alternatives to solve problems that may arise in our family.
- I promise to focus on solutions, cooperation and understanding instead of merely trying to impose my ways.
- I promise to not force obedience by using violence or punishment including any and all forms of hitting, spanking or “smacking”.
- I promise not to demean you, or humiliate you, with hurtful words such as “bad” or “stupid”.
- I promise not to isolate you or abandon you as a means to correct your mistakes.
- I promise to set clear and appropriate boundaries, expectations and limits with kindness.
- I promise to connect with you and seek to understand you, all of your quirks, unique gifts, and positively guide you when you need to find your way.
- I promise to help you reflect on any mis-steps as a way to learn and grow.
- I promise to reflect, learn and try again when I lose my way.
- I promise to work on my own inner peace and be aware of the power of my actions and my words.
- I promise to practice being peaceful every day in every way I can so that together, we may begin to change the world.
Will you choose peace over violence? Will you make this promise to each of your children? Say you will in the comments and lets start changing the world together!
Peace & Be Well,
Latest posts by Ariadne Brill (see all)
- 7 Proven Ways To Prevent After School Meltdowns - August 23, 2017
- How To Discipline A Child That Breaks The Rules And Doesn’t Listen - August 15, 2017
- Children Are Wired For Empathy And Insisting On Apologies Is Not Necessary - August 6, 2017